Terms and Conditions
These terms & conditions apply to any work done for you (the Client) by me (Caroline Barden).
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- I will provide services as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, I am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not VAT registered.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per 1,000 words OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of my work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- If the project is lengthy, I may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Any content created by me as part of the proofreading or copy-editing process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client without prior written permission.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, payment will be made within 30 days of receipt of the invoice, according to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 (amended 2002 and 2013).
- If I have made a substantial contribution to the proofreading or copy-editing of the work, I will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- Either the Client or I have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.